Tips for Managing Diabetes
- Take diabetes medication as directed.
- Monitor your blood-glucose levels every day.
- Keep a food record properly.
- If you smoke, quit it now.
- Seek treatment for sleep apnea or daytime sleepiness.
- Exercise regularly.
- Brush and floss regularly.
Steps to a Heart Healthy Diet
- Eat a diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and fiber.
- Eat fish at least twice a week.
- Limit how much saturated fat, trans fat, and cholesterol you eat. Only 30% of your daily calories should come from fat, with very little of that from saturated fats.
- Select fat-free, 1% fat, and low-fat dairy products.
- Cut back on foods containing partially hydrogenated vegetable oils to reduce trans fat in your diet.
- Limit your salt intake.